Welcome to the profession and your professional association
During your time as an occupational therapy student you are going to unpick the interesting array of theories and approaches that provide the evidence base to our work. The next few years will equip you with the necessary skills to enter the job market with confidence and the ability to make a positive impact on our service users' lives.
Join COT as a Student Member online
Setting up your COT student membership is quick and simple - it will take you around 10 minutes to complete. Even if you do not need to pay for your membership - you still need to activate your membership to access the resources.
The College developed the curriculum you are studying
We understand what support you will need during your studies. Student membership provides you with access to a wide range of resources which will be useful for both assignments and preparing for practice placements. Being a student member will keep you updated on the latest student and professional issues. You can also get involved in opportunities that develop your CV, such as attending events or writing an article for our best practice magazine.
Reasons to join
- Access a range of online resources that will help you write assignments, get to grips with OT theory and prepare for practice placement.
- Illustrate to future employers and the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) that you are dedicated to your own personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate you are part of the profession - join over 30,000 other occupational therapy staff throughout the UK in developing and celebrating the profession.
- Enjoy discounts on national and local events or occupational therapy publications - you just need to quote your membership number.
- Access the Learning Zone, where you can access professional development resources, career planning tools and a range of online resources that will help you prepare for the world of work upon qualification.
- Participate in stimulating debate and discussion via the College online discussion forums - get in touch with members across the UK.
- Access student focused resources that are tailored to meet your needs.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance and joint membership of Unison - your personal cover while out on practice placement and related OT work.
- Online access to the British Journal of Occupational Therapy (BJOT) and international occupational therapy journals, and OTnews, the best practice magazine, delivered every month.
- Opportunities to engage with your professional association to help develop your CV, such as attending the student conference or writing for OTnews.
- Join COT and enjoy UNISON membership for no extra cost.
Who pays for my membership?
Most occupational therapy students are required to pay for their own membership of the British Association of Occupational Therapists (COT). The following is a list of those Universities that continue to pay for their students' membership of COT:
- University of Bradford
- Sheffield Hallam University
- York St John University
- Cardiff University
- Glyndwr University
Transitioning from a student member to a discounted professional member
It is important that you continue to have access to the range of resources that can support your practice once you qualify, and the easiest way to do that is by retaining your membership to COT.
As you are no longer students, your membership will automatically roll over onto a discounted professional member at the end of the membership year. We will contact you regarding the upgrade of your membership before the membership year ends.
However, if you are employed in an occupational therapy role prior to the end of the membership year, you should upgrade your membership to professional member status to coincide with the start date of your employment. The discounted professional member rate is £18.13 per month for the first year as a new graduate which represents a 25% discount on the monthly price for professional membership, so enjoy the benefits of remaining COT members!