BAOT/COT historic timeline
Key dates in the history of the British Association and College of Occupational Therapists
- 1932 The Scottish Association of Occupational Therapists (SAOT) is founded.
- 1936 The Association of Occupational Therapists (AOT) is founded for England, Wales, Northern Ireland.
- 1938 AOT offers the first diploma examinations for occupational therapy in England the AOT journal "Occupational Therapy" is launched.
- 1945 AOT sets up its first office in Brompton Road, London.
- 1948 The NHS is established and AOT and SAOT appoint representatives to the Whitley Council to negotiate national pay and conditions for NHS occupational therapists.
- 1954 SAOT establishes its first office in George Street, Edinburgh.
- 1969 A referendum shows the membership of AOT and SAOT in favour of a merger.
- 1974 The British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT) is formed from a merger of AOT and SAOT. The British Journal of Occupational Therapy is launched.
- 1978 BAOT becomes a registered trade union in line with members' wishes and sets up the College of Occupational Therapists (COT), a registered charity, to deal with the professional, educational and research business of the organisation.
- 1986 HRH The Princess Royal becomes Patron of the College of Occupational Therapists.
- 1993 BAOT members vote to contract with UNISON for trade union services.
- 1998 BAOT/COT moves into its current headquarters building in Borough High Street, London.
- 1999 Devolution leads to the establishment of Country Boards for the four countries and Policy Officer roles for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.